Flu shot or not?

Hi All--

I'm 5 and 1/2 years post kidney TX and doing great (despite the pandemic). I've never had a flu shot in my life and wondering if most of you take one. I've also only had the flu once about 25 years ago. I'm nervous about getting one this year (even though it is being recommended) since friends who have gotten the shot end up with a cold (some of them get bad colds). I don't want to do something that will make me ill (even a little). What are you all doing? Do you get the flu shot and do you get a little cold after? Are we more likely to get a little sick because of our immune suppression?

Thanks, everyone! 

Carla

You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• UPDATE: Thanks to all of the commenters here, I went for it and got my flu shot tonight. My very first one. Thank you everyone for being kind and sharing your experiences with me. Other than a sore arm, I feel just fine and hope that's the case in the next few days. Wishing everyone here continued good health!! 

8036574098?profile=RESIZE_400x

• I find the application of a bit of heat will help with the ache. It's a pain, but it goes away pretty fast

• Hi Carla.  I am 3 years out and I have always had a flu shot, but I am rethinking it this year because everyone is wearing a mask.  I don't know about the particle size of the flu virus, but I've heard that the Covid virus is not stopped by a mask.  In fact, 85% of people who survived Covid were wearing a mask "most of the time" or "always".  When I did get a flu shot, my only problem was a sore arm at the injection site.  I think I might pass on it this year because there are no social activities anyway that might put me at risk...

• Replying to Anna Smith - hi Anna I can only guess where you got that 85% number.  This is incorrect based on science.  Get your flu shot if you had a transplant.  This is a standard rule for transplant receipients.  As long as the vaccine is not a "live" virus you should receive it.  Put on your mask which will not only protect you but others as well.  I hope you can trust the science especially as a person who trusted science to give you an organ transplant.

Best of luck to you.

• Thanks Anna! 

• I have had flu shots for about 20 years. I don't have any side effects. My nephrologist recommends it. 

I realize now that hand hygiene and avoid sick people are important too. 

• Thanks Joan. Be well! 

• I have been getting the flu shot since I was on dialysis (2001). Yes, a few people have side effects and this (from what I've seen) occurs mostly (and it is rare) in people that tend to have an autoimmune disease destroy their kidneys in the first place. I have 3 friends with IGN whose disease always got worse when they got the flu shot. For myself, I've never had an effect other than a sore arm for a day or two, I got my flu shot yesterday and the ache is gone already. I know the shot is a bit less effective for those of us immuno compromised, but every little bit counts. I figure that I will always need to work to keep the odds of good health in my favor.. And a flu shot just adds to my odds on the positive side. And helps protect people who are worse off than myself.

• Thanks Cora. 

• Dear Carla, 

I am a multivisceral transplant recipient, and I have been getting the flu shot since before and after my transplant surgery. I personally have not experienced getting sick with the flu shot or any other problems although I know each person is unique. Have you talked to your transplant team about this? 

Warm regards,
    Bobbiejo

This reply was deleted.

Facebook & instagram

TransplantBuddies & Friends Facebook Group

TransplantBuddies & Friends

Transplant Stories

Members Stories

Twitter

COTA

Lung Transplant Foundation

Cystic Fibrosis.com