Forum Style

How on earth to apply for Medicare?

I'm only 50, so not eligible for Medicare in the traditional way, but as a transplant patient I know I'm supposed to be covered by Medicare for 3 years. I am covered privately under my husband's health insurance and I work full time myself. However, I have had no success with applying for Medicare. Social security keeps trying to get me to fill out SSI and SSD paperwork no matter how much I explain what I'm trying to do. I'm not disabled and certainly don't qualify for SSI . I finally spoke with some woman at social security and she said that she would send me the paperwork and I could have a phone appointment on May 25th.  I received the paperwork yesterday and it's for..... SSI and SSD! I tried just going to the Medicare website but it starts asking me how many work credits I have (no idea) which I don't understand because I already qualify because of the transplant and esrd before that - my income, employment status, etc should not even be considered. Any suggestions for someone in my shoes? I am almost ready to give up which is probably what they hope I'll do but my husband's company is self-insured and I would like to get the transplant, donors nephrectomy and hospital care etc covered by Medicare and save them some money (it's a non-profit organization)  Thank you! 

You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Does your state have SHIIP counselors? I recently needed advice concerning signing up for medicare and found this service to be the only non-biased information available. Either somebody wanted to sell me insurance, or nobody would talk/advise due to liability (company HR, etc). This service (Seniors Health Insurance Information Program - SHIIP) is available through my state's department of insurance, was free, and truly phenomonal in the ifformation and help they provided. - you might try your state's site to see if somethingtlike that is available there.

• You would probally have to go to the social security office I had to retire because of health problems I had a liver transplant and was on disability from 58-65 years old then regular social security that's what I.would do

• I went thru the same thing. Ersd dies not qualify you for medicare its only if you are on dialysis. I was denied medicare for that reason. I had transplant in july now i qualify for ssdi and medicare but i have yet heard anything on my medicare. Yes they make you fill out it all to determine the medicare. I can't tell if your saying you have had transplant or not. If you haven't and you are not on dialysis medicare will not pay for your transplant period is what they told me. 

• If you have ESRD these are the requirements https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/esrd/getting-medicare-with-...

If you meet those requirements then getwith the Tx Social Worker or go into a local Medicare office. Can be a lot of lines and run around until you find the right person.  

From what I read it appears Medicare is Secondary to your primary insurance - not sure if they can just drop you.  I had my company drop me so I could qualify for SSDI/Medicaid pre Tx.The 36 month coverage you mentioned is post Tx (with rules).  Social Security deems you disabled 1 year post Tx so SSDI may as well be applied for.

Not sure if this is in the link:

• End-stage renal disease (ESRD) with kidney failure. If you require ongoing dialysis or a kidney transplant, Medicare coverage can begin the third month after the month in which your dialysis began.

Good luck.

Signing up for Medicare if you have ESRD | Medicare.gov
    Learn how to sign up for Medicare if you have End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). If you're eligible for Medicare because of ESRD, you can enroll in Part…
  • Why are you trying to do this yourself?? Every Tx center has a social worker to assist recipients with this. It IS easier to apply on online but you will have to have the Tx center send in supporting documentation, so, again, contact the social workers in Ohio. You are trying to receive S.S.D.I. because of disability. Like it or not, a transplant recipient is classified as disabled and terminal.  Disagree? Try and get life insurance now! The link below is to the disability application info.

SSDI application

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10029.pdf
This reply was deleted.

Facebook & instagram

TransplantBuddies & Friends Facebook Group

TransplantBuddies & Friends

Transplant Stories

Members Stories

Twitter

COTA

Lung Transplant Foundation

Cystic Fibrosis.com