Insomnia in kidney transplanted patients

Hello, everyone

I had a kidney transplant in 2010 and I need your help with insomnia.

I am battling chronic insomnia, for which I have taken various drug combinations, based on Clonazepam (1 mg) and Mirtazapine (15mg). A third drug has completed the combination. Olanzapine helped for a while, then it wasn't enough and Imovane was added to the three. After a few months, this combination of four drugs wasn't effective anymore (I fell asleep and woke up after 5 or 6 hours of sleep, or I didn't fall asleep until dawn and slept 4 or 5 hours; sometimes i couldn't sleep at all). About a month ago, the doctor replaced the Olanzapine and Imovane with Quetiapine (50 mg). In the first 10 days, I slept about 7-7.5 h a night, but I woke up tired and with tachycardia and heart aches. I told the doctor, but he said these symptoms were not caused by Quetiapine. So I continued to take it along with Mirtazapine (15 mg) and Clonazepam (1 mg), but I started sleeping badly again (too little sleep, tachycardia and heart aches the next day). The doctor told me to increase it to 100 mg, but I'm not feeling well even when I sleep about 7 h a night (same tachycardia and heart aches). I also noticed I retain fluids, which the doctor says it's not caused by the Quetiapine. 

I had 2 heart check-ups (ECG and heart ultrasound) and both came out normal. The heart looks fine and functions normally, so I fear the symptoms are caused by the Quetiapine. I asked the doc if he could replace it with something else, but he said it is the best drug for sleep. I went to see another doctor, and she kept the Quetiapine, too, but told me to replace Mirtazapine with Trittico. I tried Trittico with Clonazepam and Mirtazapine about two years ago and it didn't help me.

I am desperate and don't know what to do anymore. I tried cognitive behavioral therapy and it didn't help me much. Can you give me any suggestions? Are there better drugs that I could take?

Thank you so much.

You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Lilly..my goodness! 
    I have 2 suggestions for you: 1. if you work, find a new job  2. if possible walk, same time in the morning; same time after dinner..walking is my peace on earth..you sound soooo stressed! Drop the drugs and walk! My kidney transplant took place in 2009..Stress will kill us all, go out and enjoy yourself!! You'll sleep😍 Larson

• I would seek the advice from my Tx nephrologist or Tx team. This is a common problem and they have the experience you need. I would like to hear what they have to say.

• Hi Lily.  Insomnia can be such a problem for so many people!  My husband can fall asleep but staying asleep is the problem.  He's been taking Melatonin and that helps, but the real help has come from an amino acid called Glycine.  Here's an excellent article on the subject.  The physician who wrote the article takes glycine himself and says he rarely has a problem sleeping anymore.  Perhaps this will work for you!!  

https://www.grc.com/health/research/Glycine/Glycine_For_Sleep.pdf

https://www.grc.com/health/research/Glycine/Glycine_For_Sleep.pdf
This reply was deleted.

Facebook & instagram

TransplantBuddies & Friends Facebook Group

TransplantBuddies & Friends

Transplant Stories

Members Stories

Twitter

COTA

Lung Transplant Foundation

Cystic Fibrosis.com

Organ Donation Surprising Facts

Latest Activity

Anu Basin and Ayush Pinakin Shah are now friends
10 hours ago
Anu Basin and Ayush Pinakin Shah are now friends via Latest Activity on TransplantFriends.com
10 hours ago
Vignesh is now a member of TransplantFriends.com
13 hours ago
Vignesh is now a member of TransplantFriends.com via Latest Activity on TransplantFriends.com
13 hours ago
More…

Planetary Biosciences for Cystic Fibrosis

Please Donate for CF Patients