Forum Style

Prednisone Pounds

i am doing a journaling prompt on Facebook with the group Fitness After Transplant. 

I wanted to know if anyone in this group is also having problems with weight gain and the many other side effects from Prednisone. 

I have been on it off and on for almost a year, when I was off it I was able to maintain my normal weight. I have been back on it since December and have put on 25 pounds. I started journaling all my activity, exercise and everything I ate. By watching my diet I was able to stop gaining weight since the first of this month, but I can’t lose any weight.

I'm graduating and will have a new team of doctors for my Liverversary the end of this month and I want to ask them to please take me off this drug!

Has  anybody had any of my problems and if so what did you do about them, any success stories. Was anyone able to talk their doctors in trying something other than prednisone and it’s Landry list of side effects?

any help or suggestions are deeply appreciated!

jacquie

You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How long ago was your transplant?? I had a heart transplant 5 yrs ago and some Drs believe in a low dose of prednisone for the rest of your life but my Drs DONT! I’ve been off prednisone for 4yrs. Although I’ve never had rejection though and I don’t know your history. If you’ve never had rejection issues I’m not sure why your still on it.  I also get bruises easily and have dry skin issues so I think it’s caused by my sirolimus or cellcept so may be some of the same for you but it’s def prednisone causing night sweats etc!  I hope you get things figured out and can possibly be off the steroids cause I felt like crap on them to. Hang in there!

• I know someone had a rejection after taking off prednisone. I’ll not take the risk.

To me, being alive, healthy, and keeping a job is my priority.

By the way, I’m addicted to FOODs and exercises. 

Take care.

• I am more than grateful for this second chance at life! I just don’t like what this drug has done to my body, diabetes, osteoporosis, thin crepey skin, I’m covered in bruises, skin cancer, my teeth are falling out, I have shortness of breath, headaches, insomnia and night sweats! All from one drug.

i know I’ll be on Immune Suppressant for the rest of my life, but do I really need a steroid too?

i also would never do a single thing without my doctors permission otherwise I would have never started this evil drug!

js

• I hate prednisone with a passion! You can’t do much about some weight gain no matter what you do but do your best to eat rt and excercise and try not to stress. I gained 45lbs from it. When I got off of it the weight dissapeared after 3 mo. I got pretty discouraged so don’t let yourself do what I did cause you’ll be off of it soon enough!

• Thank you so much for your encouraging reply! This is what I needed to hear right now! Knowing there is a light at the end of this prednisone he’ll sure helps!,

im hoping my new team of doctors will want me off this drug as much as I want to be off it! So many issues from just one of my meds!, I want to be done with it!

thanks again!

Jacquie

• Jacquie,

Hi.  Thanks for bringing up this needful topic.  After my liver transplant in 2015 I was on Prednisone for a year.  A pretty high dose at first and then down to 5 mg a day for the long stretch of that year.  They were trying to prevent recurrence of PSC liver disease.  After having been sick for so long and not having much of an appetite, when I got my new liver, and then with that Prednisone, my appetitie just went out of sight.

We stayed at a Residence Inn in Durham, NC after transplant for about 3-1/2 weeks.  Well this was a brand new hotel, and every evening starting at five they made fresh hot popcorn, ballfield / theater variety.  Oh, I could eat at least two bags a night.  That Prednisone just gave me the munchies.  Well I gained 30 pounds during the first year post transplant.  I'm working on getting that back down to a reasonable weight and maintaining ok, but it's a struggle still.  I can't think really of any side effects for me other than the food cravings.

Mark
    PSC 2011 / Liver Transplant 2015

• This reply was deleted.
    • I’m so envious!  I would be happy to have only gained 9 pounds. I gained 25 lbs in 3.5 months and now I’m really watching my diet carb and sodium intake and I exercise everyday and that only keeps me from gaining more, not losing at all. 

Im on 10 mg prednisone, 3 mg Prograf and 2.5 mg Zortress both of those are A.M. and pm, the Big P, is am only!

js

This reply was deleted.

Facebook & instagram

TransplantBuddies & Friends Facebook Group

TransplantBuddies & Friends

Transplant Stories

Members Stories

Twitter

COTA

Lung Transplant Foundation

Cystic Fibrosis.com

Organ Donation Surprising Facts