sleeping

is it only me or does everyone  have trouble sleeping,i also sleep with a cpap machine,and still cant sleep,and my doc does not want me to take anything except melatonin ,and stl dont help,the only thing helps is zanax ,and it was only a one time deal any ideas

You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello, everyone

I had a kidney transplant in 2010. I need your help with insomnia .

I am battling chronic insomnia, for which I have taken various drug combinations, based on Clonazepam (1 mg) and Mirtazapine (15mg). A third drug has always completed the combination. Olanzapine helped for a while, then it wasn't enough and Imovane (Zopiclone) was added to the three. After a few months, this combination of four drugs wasn't effective anymore (I fell asleep and woke up after 5 or 6 hours of sleep, or I didn't fall asleep until dawn and slept 4 or 5 hours; sometimes i couldn't sleep at all). About a month ago, the doctor replaced the Olanzapine and Imovane with Quetiapine (50 mg). In the first 10 days, I slept about 7-7.5 h a night, but I woke up tired and with tachycardia and heart aches. I told the doctor, but he said these symptoms were not caused by Quetiapine. So I continued to take it along with Mirtazapine (15 mg) and Clonazepam (1 mg), but I started sleeping badly again (too little sleep, tachycardia and heart aches the next day). The doctor told me to increase it to 100 mg, but I'm not feeling well even when I sleep about 7 h a night (worse tachycardia and heart aches). I also noticed I retain fluids, which the doctor says it's not caused by the Quetiapine. 

I had 2 heart check-ups (ECG and heart ultrasound) and both came out normal. The heart looks fine and functions normally, so I fear the symptoms are caused by the Quetiapine. I asked the doc if he could replace it with something else, but he said it is the best drug for sleep. I went to see another doctor, and she kept the Quetiapine, too, but told me to replace Mirtazapine with Trittico. I tried Trazodone with Clonazepam and Mirtazapine about two years ago and it didn't help me.

I am desperate and don't know what to do anymore. I tried cognitive behavioral therapy and it didn't help me much. Can you give me any suggestions? Are there better drugs that I could take?

Thank you so much.

• wow this post is over 9 years old. try xanax, have you done a sleep study for apnea. good luck

• Hi Frank,
    I am 8 months put and I don't think I have had a full nights sleep yet. I was given Xanax and it does help to shut my mind off and fall asleep but I wake up every 2 or 3 hours. At first it was because of the water pills but now it's just because. I had trouble sleeping prior to tx knowing what lie ahead but since tx, it what lies ahead. Does that make sense? I tried everything as well. Yoga breathing helps to calm my body and relax but then the Xanax takes over and I fall asleep. But staying asleep is a problem that I have found no cure for.i think our minds just won't turn off because we don't want to miss anything. We have so much information overload and we are not equipped for this much stress. Coping is the hardest part do tx in my opinion. We physically recover, but emotionally, we are stuck sometimes. I fall asleep better after hubby leaves for work and I have a peaceful home for a few hours...until the phone rings at least. Early mornings are the best time for me to sleep, just when everyone start the day, I go to bed. Like right now I am in bed ready for a boring movie to put me to sleep.
    Will they let you try Xanax?
    Nighty night...
    Mish
  • My transplant team is really strict on what I'm allowed to take because so much stuff can suppress breathing... But they do approve trazadone in small doses, and that helps me a lot. With all the other meds (steroids, bronchodilators, etc.) and the stress, I wasn't sleeping really at all, which wasn't good either. So in the hospital the last time they gave the trazadone and that really did well for me.
    • I've been having lots of trouble sleeping because of the high dose prednisone they put me on. I'm tapering off it now but still can't sleep. My lung docs told me to talk to my pcp about sleep aids so he can monitor me on them since my lung docs are three hours away. He ended up giving me lunesta. I'm waiting for it in the mail but I'm a lil worried about it suppressing my breathing. Melatonin doesn't work real well for me. Still only getting about 5 hours of sleep a night...
      • I feel your pain... Just finished a taper from a stent in the hospital in July. The docs now want to keep me off the steroids until my surgery... That stuff is the worst! I know some folks in my group at the hospital don't have many side effects, but I always do.
        Like I said trazadone works well for me, and my transplant docs said it was ok for me to use. But it depends on your docs and your program. They manage ALL of my meds and everything now. I live about 2.5 hours... Going to look at apts tomorrow. Have to reallocate ASAP now that I'm listed.
  • After my kidney transplant I had real problems sleeping. I could fall asleep, but around 2 am, like clockwork, I would wake up and be stuck. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not a pill pusher. I tried all kinds of stuff and did get some help from my accupuncturist (there's a great pressure point between your eyes on the brow - rub it and it helps with sleep), but it wasn't enough. So I ended up on trazadone. I think it was the prograf that was causing my sleep problems. Anyway, after not quite a year, I was in hospital for a while, they didn't order it, and I slept anyway. So I stopped taking it. It did help me sleep and maybe helped me get back into a proper sleep rhythm too. I still occasionally use the acupressure point.

• same here i cant sleep when i have dialysis ,the only thing helps is zanax ,but my transplant dor wont give it to me

• the wildest thing about this post is that you could sleep at the hospital and not at home!

there were several nights post-tx where i ended up literally yelling at my nurse to let me have a sleeping pill because it was four in the morning and I wasn't even tired. Rather than look in the computer to see what they ICU staff had been giving me for the previous 4 months, they asked me what I had been taking, and when I couldn't remember they just let me stay awake all night! Then I'd pass out from complete exhaustion in the middle of the day, which obviously didn't lead to a healthy sleep schedule :P

• Believe me, it's an acquired skill you don't want to acquire. it takes an awful lot to keep me awake in a hospital since I've spent so much time there over the last decade or so. Lights on? Eh. Who cares? Nurses laughing and making noise? Background! The one thing that did wake me up a while back was the demented patient wandering into my room and demanding something. But that's about it.

This reply was deleted.

Facebook & instagram

TransplantBuddies & Friends Facebook Group

TransplantBuddies & Friends

Transplant Stories

Members Stories

Twitter

COTA

Lung Transplant Foundation

Cystic Fibrosis.com

Organ Donation Surprising Facts

Latest Activity

Anu Basin and Ayush Pinakin Shah are now friends
10 hours ago
Anu Basin and Ayush Pinakin Shah are now friends via Latest Activity on TransplantFriends.com
10 hours ago
Vignesh is now a member of TransplantFriends.com
13 hours ago
Vignesh is now a member of TransplantFriends.com via Latest Activity on TransplantFriends.com
13 hours ago
More…

Planetary Biosciences for Cystic Fibrosis

Please Donate for CF Patients