UTI antibiotics

Hello transplant friends, I reached my 5 year kidney  transplant anniversary, but unfortunately I just released from the hospital on yesterday and was given the antibiotic (Levofloxacin) for a UTI. I wanted to ask if any of you have taken this antibiotic before and had bad side effects from the medication? If so what were they because I'm feeling horrible with this medication! 

I've never had a UTI before, therefore the bacteria was sitting there for a while because I had absolutely no symptoms other than cloudy unrine. I thought that was from me not drinking enough water because I didn't see the cloudiness all the time. It wasn't until I started to have a fever which caused me to go running to the ER. 

Thanks,

Rena :-)💚

You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Rena, I had a couple of UTIs after my transplant, once with none of the usual symptoms , which was concerning. I found a supplement called D-Mannose, which was ok-d by my nephrologist. It contains cranberry and some other things. I take it daily. No UTIs since taking it. It evidently keep the bacteria from adhering to the bladder.

• Rena, 

I too had a UTI with a fever and was given the same antibiotic. I did end up with diarrhea but I tend to with all antibiotics and I think it's because they give me to much. I didn't take all of it because of the diarrhea. Not telling you to stop it but I would talk to your doctor about how you feel.

Linda 

• Hey rena. I know this is probably really late and you're all better now. I understand the weirdest side effects that you've mentioned on here. I refuse to take any antibiotics for myself (not suggesting anyone or anybody to do what I do ofc) because they cause all sorts of side effects on me such as shaking, anxiety, confusion, drowsiness, just weird feelings lol. Only antibiotics that I have no problems with is Bactrim. I only ask for bactrim if I need to absolutely take it (fever UTI). Most of the time, when theres a mild uti, I drink a lot of water and cranberry juice and tylenol extra strength to flush it out of my system. It works for me everytime. Maybe next time, you can ask for another antibiotics. I've tried a lot of them in the beginning of my transplant years. ^^ hope you are well! 

• 1. Make sure you take it with food and lots of water. Otherwise it'll upset your stomach and other side effects. 
    2. don't stop it in the middle of the treatment. Otherwise UTI will last longer. 
    3. I usually refused to take antibiotics when I had flu/cold or bronchitis. They lasted 1-2months. If I took the antibiotics, the flu/cold or bronchitis stopped after 1-2weeks. 

Take care. 

• Hopefully you won't be taking this med too long and it is safe though it has some side effects. I hope you will be passed this issue soon. I placd a link about the med below.

Web MD info

Drugs & Medications
    Find patient medical information for Levofloxacin Oral on WebMD including its uses, side effects and safety, interactions, pictures, warnings and use…
    • Thank you so much for responding I really appreciate it! :-)

• Hi Rena, i just completed a dosage of same antibiotic 500mg once a day for 5 days for asymptomatic uti. Didnt have any observed side effects. In my case bacteria kept showing up in culture while the routine tests were fine. Its only when i complained of infrequent dysuria that d doc had to relent and prescribe meds.

• Hello, thanks so much for responding to my question! I started taking them, but for whatever reason I'm having the weirdest side effects! 😩 It feels like someone is pricking my skin, I'm a little shaky from them also! I'm just trying to push my way through these other 4 days so I can get all the medicine in my system to cure this UTI.

This reply was deleted.

Facebook & instagram

TransplantBuddies & Friends Facebook Group

TransplantBuddies & Friends

Transplant Stories

Members Stories

Twitter

COTA

Lung Transplant Foundation

Cystic Fibrosis.com

Organ Donation Surprising Facts

Latest Activity

Joe Berry replied to sumit kapoor's discussion Pets post Tx
12 hours ago
Joe Berry replied to sumit kapoor's discussion Pets post Tx via Latest Activity on TransplantFriends.com
12 hours ago
Jeff Cutler replied to sumit kapoor's discussion Pets post Tx
18 hours ago
Jeff Cutler replied to sumit kapoor's discussion Pets post Tx via Latest Activity on TransplantFriends.com
18 hours ago
More…

Planetary Biosciences for Cystic Fibrosis

Please Donate for CF Patients