Forum Style

What is an "ideal" hydration intake?

Hi,

I am wondering what is the ideal hydration intake per day? Most days, I manage to take in 2L which is rather difficult enough after years on dialysis. My tx team once said, "that's all?" and I was under the impression to drink more. Some days, I make it to 4L but that seems like awfully much and I feel sick. (Mostly water btw, always water.) So, what have your teams suggested for a good intake post kidney transplant? I am a small average sized female. Thank you.

You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well when my urine change the color from light clear yellow to orange that means that I have to drink more water and less coffe 

• I have gastroparesis so drinking enough is really difficult for me. My doctors have told me that as long as my urine is clear or very pale yellow, I am drinking enough and should it become darker, try to take a sip of water every 5 minutes until I have to pee. 

• I have gastroparesis too. In the early days after my transplant sometimes it was a choice between more fluid and food. I've found a good balance now (and my tummy is better now with better kidney function) and drink close to 2 L per day. Sometimes I hit the full 2 L, sometimes I only come close (1.7 or 1.8). But I'm pretty stable after 15 years.

• I am 63 one year of kidney transplant  and I take 3 bottles of water a day 8 oz 

i am am not a good drinking of water.at the beg yes I took 1.5 of water a lot of soups.now when I noticed that my urine is a little orange I drink water so my urine is clear .

• I believe the "1 ounce of fluid per kilogram of body weight," formula, as stated by Coravh, is the most universally acceptable guideline for everyone to try to achieve.  It is important to remember, this figure includes fluid from all sources.

• Hai, I am 90 days post transplant recepient till 14 days back I used to have 6 litres of water a day slowly my creatine in 3 weeks have gone up from 1.4 to 1.7 my nephrologist gave me iv fluids on the same day creatinine came down to 1.6 from the next day I started taking 8 liters a day after 4 days my creatinine came back to 1.4  since this is summer season and in India it will be very hot fluid loss will be more. I suggest you to take fluid depending on your condition and climatic condition  

• I drink when I a.m. thirsty 

• How much water to drink post-transplant is a question I have repeatedly asked the surgeons, nephrologist and other medical professionals at my Tx center. The general consensus appears to be between 2-4 liters per day, this number includes fluid from all sources, like vegetables, soups, and stews. Guidelines differ for women than males and obviously would take into account, one's stature.

I found a link, from a trusted source, that elaborates further.

Mayo Clinic article

Water: How much should you drink every day?
    Know how much water to drink to stay healthy and hydrated.
    • Thanks for the link.

Water: How much should you drink every day?
      Know how much water to drink to stay healthy and hydrated.
  • Thanks Coravh. If I do 1 oz per kg, I also come up at around 2 L. And honestly, this seems to be my tolerance. (Though, I do aim for a little bit more after the "that's all?" comment.)

I know this is something to be discussed with the tx team but after trying for 4 L yesterday, I thought this battle was lost.

This reply was deleted.

Facebook & instagram

TransplantBuddies & Friends Facebook Group

TransplantBuddies & Friends

Transplant Stories

Members Stories

Twitter

COTA

Lung Transplant Foundation

Cystic Fibrosis.com

Organ Donation Surprising Facts

Latest Activity