Forum Style

Hi, everyone,I've been interested to know how many of you all have a job? I realize that the title may not be an accurate one, as this group may be different than the transplant recipient population as a whole. However, I am still interested to know the following:1.) Do you have a job?2.) If yes, is it part-time or full time.3.) Would you say you job requires a great amount of manual labor?4.) How old are you?5.) How long have you had your transplant? What organ?I am a 19 y/o female, working two part-time jobs. I would say that one of my jobs requires a great amount of manual labor, while the other requires a cery minimal amount. I've had a liver transplant 1 year ago.Again, I am just interested in how many recipients are currently working!

You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Bcuz we need money, food, meds, and a roof over my family's head.   And I won't take it from anyone else if I can work.  2-months post-tx I was back at work.  Sick or not.

• I am 54 & had a kidney transplant 8 years ago. I run my own retail store as I did prior to transplant. I do some lifting..but find that it tires me out if I lift too much. Lifting some each week is weight bearing exercise & does help to alleviate hip pain from the meds.
  • I am working full time and never stopped except for while in hospital after transplant (4 months).
    I am still working and am 59. I had my liver transplant 2.5 years.
    My job requires climbing and some lifting, most of my heavy lifting is at home.
  • I am retirement age, but I have been working part-time ever since I retired from my full time job.  I do computer and office work for a friend who is self-employed, so no manual labor but the job is fun and I want to work and I am capable. And I feel so good now!!   I work one day a week, and I enjoy it.  I would have 3 roommates and 3 jobs before I would go on welfare or disability, if at all possible.  Kidney transplant 4 months ago yesterday.

• 1. I do not work at a job any longer.<br/>
    2. N/A<br/>
    3. When I worked prior to transplant job was moderate labor.<br/>
    4. I am 55 years old<br/>
    5. Bilateral lung transplant on April 28, 2015 so 2 1/2 years out
  • I had a kidney transplant 10 years ago when I was 15. Currently, I work full time and also attend graduate school. Like I said, I got my transplant when I was 15 and from when I was 16 through high school and college I worked part time jobs at fast food, a grocery store and a horse barn which required varying amounts of manual labor. Working at the barn caring for horses required a lot of manual labor obviously!

My current job is a desk job, so not very strenuous. But I also go to grad school, ride horses 5 days a week and go to the gym 4-5 days a week. So I definitely keep busy! Good question, I am also curious to see how many work full time. I wonder if the results might be skewed a bit because many who receive transplants are close to retirement age. You are close to the age I was when I got my transplant. I am 26 now!

• Excellent! Wish your new kidney will last many many years.
    • Haha! I can relate to that. I am currently in college full time for nursing so I feel like I am always on the move. And working (and playing) with horses sounds so fun!
      And I think you might be right about the results being skewed, as there are many retirement age individuals on this site. I hope you are well, Lizzie! It's hard to find other recipients close to my age, so thanks for the response!!
      • Excellent! You are on the right track. I wish I would had a nursing degree. I'm working in the medical field though. I love it.
  • Hi Katie!
    I had my liver transplant 1-1/2 years ago. I am 61 and am working a part time job. I am an Evening Receptionist, which requires very little physical exertion. However, I drive an hour to the job and an hour home. This requires a lot of mental acquity, as I drive both highway and interstate with a lot of traffic.
    Do be careful in your job that requires a lot of manual labor. You are young and it's sounds like you bounced back fairly quickly. Best of luck to you in your endeavors!
    Nancy
    p.s. What kind of cirrhosis did you have? 19 is so young! I had NASH cirrhosis that originated with fatty liver.
This reply was deleted.

Transplant Stories

Members Stories

Transplant News

Transplant News

Twitter

COTA

Purolator Air Filters

Thank You

Each month, it costs $60.00 to operate TransplantFriends.com We greatly appreciate your support.

Facebook & instagram

Planetary Biosciences for Cystic Fibrosis

Looking for My Kidney Hero

My dear Friend Susy - a double lung transplant survivor is in need of a Kidney Angel (O positive blood type).  If you can be Susy's Hero- contact her at susygar@aol.com Thank You So Much!

Latest Activity

David liked Kidneyboy's discussion Behind The Drama Of The World's First Heart Transplant - NDTV News
45 minutes ago
DAP1122 (Don) posted a blog post
1 hour ago
Brian Turner is now a member of TransplantFriends.com
11 hours ago
Vivian left a comment on Kidney Transplants
15 hours ago
Jeff Werrell, Valerie King, kimchi mass and 1 more joined TransplantFriends.com
16 hours ago
Jeff Werrell is now a member of Lung(s) Transplants
16 hours ago
Willie Potgieter left a comment for betty stillson